Tuesday, September 4, 2007

20070904 How to Avoid the Freshman 15

How to Avoid the Freshman 15

September 4th, 2007

This post is dedicated to everyone who just dropped-off a loved-one at college.

I try and follow nutrition issues because a younger family member wants to be a nutritionist and I felt that a good uncle would wanna participate in meaningful conversations… I’m not sure that it’s working, but that might be the stuff of another conversation.

I was howling when I read the part “Unfortunately, as a diet plan, 47 bowls of cereal per day doesn't work so well.”

Our loved-one, whom we just dropped-off at college, immediately bypassed the fresh fruit, tempting wraps, and salads and began wolfing-down bowls of cereal… As much as I am also a cereal-lover myself, cereal must be a college freshman thing.

Me, I was addicted to macaroni and cheese in college. We would purchase it by the case.

Anyway… I just received this in an e-mail…

from Jen Hubley

When I was in school, there was a rumor going around that the cafeteria meat arrived in large crates marked: GRADE D. SUITABLE FOR PRISONS AND STATE UNIVERSITIES. The taste of the food did nothing to dispel the myth.

In the Spotlight

5 Ways to Get Fat in College

Surprisingly, the general yuckiness of the food did nothing to prevent me from overeating. If anything, it made me stuff food down faster and pig out on desserts more than I normally would. And, of course, all of that led to a common college student disorder: The Mysterious Shrinking Pants Syndrome.
- Exercise Guide Paige Waehner

Fight the Freshman 15

The real culprit was probably the overabundance of carbs we were all eating. If dinner is lousy, it makes sense to load up on free cereal. Unfortunately, as a diet plan, 47 bowls of cereal per day doesn't work so well.

Weight Loss Guide Jennifer R. Scott

Stress and the Freshman 15

If you're an emotional eater, freshman year of college is extra hard. For most of us, it's the first time we were away from home and responsible for ourselves.
- Stress Management Guide Elizabeth Scott, M.S.

####

No comments: