Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This week in The Tentacle: http://www.thetentacle.com/

This week in The Tentacle: http://www.thetentacle.com/

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The 100 percenters and the seethers
Kevin E. Dayhoff
Now that Maryland’s primary election is over and the general election is only six-plus weeks away, I only have one question left for some candidates and single issues interest groups: Is there anyone left you can annoy – friends, family, poisonous reptiles?

Writing a Book – Now Comes the Hard Part
Tom McLaughlin
Kuching, Malaysian Borneo –I wrote a book and published myself. They delivered them here recently. And they are beautiful.


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Union Still Stands
Roy Meachum
In the Great Depression’s worst days, as war storms blew up over Europe for all the world, American writer Stephen Vincent Benet wrote “The Devil and Daniel Webster.” The allegory’s most famous line, “Neighbor, how stands the Union?”

Constructivist math in our society
Nick Diaz
I learned math under a solid, old-fashioned, time-honored, traditional program taught by the dear good Jesuit priests and brothers in charge of my elementary education in my native Cuba. It didn’t matter whether the math curriculum was from a textbook, or from Moses and the Ten Commandments; my teachers taught it and taught it well.


Monday, September 13, 2010

Candidates Respond
Shawn Burns
In my last column, I asked several questions of candidates for Frederick Board of County Commissioners. Below I have restated the questions and the answers from the candidates who responded. Thank you to those who did and for taking the time to get back to me.

United We Stand, Divided We Fail
Adam Avery
The Frederick County Republican Central Committee (FCRCC), hereinafter referred to as "committee," is experiencing internal turmoil which threatens to undermine its core mission: To promote all Republican candidates. Apparent ineffectiveness – if not incompetent – leadership by current Chairman Mary Rolle threatens to stall, if not reverse, any momentum generated by former Chairman Kelly Schulz.

Campaign Diary – It’s A Learning Experience…
Michael Kurtianyk
How many of you watch the Summer Olympics? You know the part when the marathoners run into the stadium for their final lap? Well, that’s what this final week of campaigning feels like. For me, who wasn’t a last-minute entry into the commissioner race, this has been a marathon of meeting people, going door-to-door, and researching the issues.


Friday, September 10, 2010

Media Hype
Roy Meachum
As TheTentacle.com colleague Norm Covert revealed, the present Fort Detrick “scandal” is a creature of The Frederick News-Post; Norm served long years as the fort’s public affairs director. He knows. But he said the local paper has made no attempt to interview him.

Endorsed Candidates for September 14 Primary
John W. Ashbury
As a public service TheTentacle.com today provides a list of candidates who have been endorsed in next week’s primary election. We are providing the organization that has made those endorsements and, if they are ranked, we are providing the names in order. We are not including uncontested races or endorsements by individuals.


Thursday, September 9, 2010

Political Musings
Farrell Keough
With the primary right around the corner, the nastiness of various people vying for election has shown itself to be very active. A number of emails, fliers, radio spots, and direct mailings have shown just how far some people will go in an attempt to elevate themselves by denigrating others.

Unethical, or just plain dumb?
Joan McIntyre
You may ask why in the world when I'm a Republican I would pick on my own central committee. The answer is very simple. I believe in exposing the warts wherever they hide. I’m not blinded by the light just because it says, ‘hey, trust me, I’m a Republican.’ Does “Trust but verify” ring a bell with anyone?

What happens if you don’t vote?
Amanda Haddaway
Out of all my friends, I think I’m probably in the top 10 percent in terms of political awareness and involvement. Some of my friends vote and some do not, despite my constant lecturing on the importance of it. The realization that I’ve come to is this: they don’t vote because they feel that their lone voice doesn’t make a difference. I’m here to tell you that it does.


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Recovery Summer – NOT
Kevin E. Dayhoff
Conservative populist political pundits have predicted that Republicans will do well in the fast-approaching midterm elections, and, to a great extent, even the most cursory examination of history indicates such a prediction is a safe bet.

Endangered Species
Tom McLaughlin
Kuching, Borneo Island, Malaysia – I don’t have much hope for the species of the world which are connected with Chinese medicine. In fact, we could probably wipe off those critically endangered except for ones in well-guarded wildlife preserves and those in zoos.


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

On My Deafness
Roy Meachum
“On His Blindness” was written by John Milton, an English poet surpassed only by William Shakespeare. Too bad Ludwig van Beethoven was only a great composer; but he spoke another language.


Monday, September 6, 2010

Lessons of School Choice – Part 2
Earl 'Rocky' Mackintosh
In Part 1 of my column on this topic I outlined some of the differences between public and private education. The goal is to offer information that the new and existing members of the Frederick County Board of Education should consider as they move forward in this new school year.

Campaign Diary – Busier Than Usual
Michael Kurtianyk
It amazes me how people work to put together a party in a short amount of time. It was only two weeks ago when I spoke with someone who said: “Let’s have a party at my house for you.” I agreed, though I thought that two weeks wasn’t enough time.


*****
Kevin Dayhoff Soundtrack: http://www.kevindayhoff.net/ Kevin Dayhoff Art: http://www.kevindayhoffart.com/
My http://www.explorecarroll.com/ columns appear in the copy of the Baltimore Sunday Sun that is distributed in Carroll County: https://subscribe.baltsun.com/Circulation/

No comments: