Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Codewords, The Society of Professional Journalists Ethics Committee Blog: An air of objectivity


Codewords, The Society of Professional Journalists Ethics Committee Blog: An air of objectivity
November 15th, 2012

An air of objectivity

By Kevin Smith
A lot has been made of the word “objectivity” as it relates to news coverage and reporting.
Some people believe it is an attainable value in American journalism, a principle worthy of our efforts. Others think it is nothing short of a myth. The rankling over whether objectivity can truly exist in journalism has been the subject of so much contention over the years, I feel like I can stand before a mirror and carry on a lengthy debate with myself.
I know the rhetoric.
I also know what I believe and how I apply it to my role as chairman of the Society of Professional Journalists’ Ethics Committee.
To the many voices who respectfully say it’s a farce, and to the growing voices who contend it’s nothing more than a concocted standard by which journalists could hang their principled crowns for display for all these many years, I concede this point – we are all biased... http://blogs.spjnetwork.org/ethics/2012/11/15/an-air-of-objectivity/

*****

No comments: